Friday, June 20, 2008

Back and badder than ever!

Hello and welcome back, my patient reader! This has been truly a bizarre two weeks. I had a pretty crummy health incident that set me back, way back. It was hard to work and function, let alone blog. But I’ve missed you so.

Here are some things:

My children have been gone for a week with my ex. He took them on a road trip and I am sooo glad they’re coming home tonight! I’ve never been apart from them for this long and it’s been grueling. I had lots of big plans of ways to keep busy, painting the living room, etc. but none of those things came to pass. I worried a lot and cleaned their rooms. And worked a lot. And ate cruddy foods and slept weird hours…is it my kids’ responsibilities to keep me on a schedule, eating lovely organic veggies and playing outside? Apparently so. If left to my own devices I kind of ramble about. Oh well.

I got a haircut and got my do dyed dark – in the sun it turns kind of freaky reddish, so now it’s a glorious espresso brown.

Lately I’ve been jonesing for a super big house remodeling project. Do I have the cash for this? Not so much. How swell would it be to finish the basement? (Ah yes – the Legos will no longer be constantly underfoot…who am I kidding?)

In concert news, today They Might Be Giants tickets went on sale. I’m all over it, man. I know that many, many people find TMBG to be too novelty, too silly to be listening music. Not me. I’ve seen them several times and have always loved it. They are funny, smart and true to their strengths as musicians. Yum. I’m also going to be going to see Sharon Jones at the State Fair. This is a show that you cannot miss, dude! I don’t know who I’m going with yet – maybe it’s too far away for people to commit? I dunno. I do know that I’m going to be there, both nights if I can swing it.

I might take ballroom dancing this fall. Those who know me well, stop laughing right now. I’ve always hated that kind of stuff – it seems too showy, too look-at-me for my liking. Well, while I was out listening to some fine music a crazy Russian man asked me to dance. I said no, but he wouldn’t hear it. It was a waltz. I said, “Really, I don’t dance.” He said, “Let me teach you.” Dude, it was embarrassing. Yeah, I learned the box step and all that stuff in gym class, but this dude kept yelling at me, “Look at my eyes! Don’t look down! Now we spin!” Anyway, I think maybe just learning a few things might spare from embarrassment at the hands of the next deranged Russian.

This weekend I’m going to the new restaurant in Rosedale, Flame. A swell architect I know designed it and I’m going and taking the kids. They’re going to be in rare form. They’ve always had re-entry problems after a vacation, but to be away from any sort of routine and nutrition while on the road will make for a difficult week ahead. I don’t care…I love ‘em like crazycakes.

Thanks for your patience, Lone Reader…It’s been a really, really bad time for me and I’m so glad to now see the light of day. More tomorrow, including a beyond silly TRUE STORY. Stay loose and groovy, baby!

No comments: