Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Bacon Vodka BLT-ini!



Okay, people! I did it! The BLT-ini was consumed!

The recipe:
Three weeks ahead of time: start bacon vodka. A day or two in advance, make tomato water. (See previous posts for both.) Freeze a few grape tomatoes while you're at it. Keep both nasty looking liquids very cold. To Mix: Shake equal parts tomato water and bacon vodka with ice cubes and a pinch of celery seed in a cocktail shaker. Strain into martini glasses. Garnish with lettuce spear, frozen grape tomato and a bacon curl.

The details:
Some BLT-inis (yes, there are now many varieties) employ tomato juice. Yeah. I can't really get my head wrapped around the texture of tomato juice, so I went with tomato water instead. A lovely, light mixer.

Bacon curls are HARD to make! They kept breaking. I got one beauty, but for the most part I couldn't get the long Not Martha curls...more like little c-clamps made from bacon. Oh well. They still tasted good and we got to eat the mistakes. And the lettuce and tomato were pure genius...crunchy, frozen, booze-y genius.

The bacon vodka smells pretty gross, and despite filtering it twice through coffee filters, it still had tiny bits of bacon fat in it. (Ewww.) BTW, it takes quite awhile to strain...leave yourself time. I made one for me and one for Drummer Guy (TM). There was a definite sense of dread -- it really looked like urine with garnish. We had to dare each other to take a drink. And you know what? IT WAS GOOD! The tomato water was exquisite. I'm not much of a drinker (despite what you may have heard. or witnessed) so I would like a little more mixer than vodka, but it was very good. Tasty! We both finished them. And, may I say, there was quite a kick upon completion. YUM!

Reviews:
Me: Delish, summer-y and refreshing
Drummer Guy (TM): Five stars, good for sipping (not slurping) and really tastes like a BLT

No comments: