Friday, March 21, 2008

Strikes, Spares, Shmenges


Yeah, I finally broke into the 70s at bowling - I won the first game with a score of 72. Sure it was bumper ball and I kept coughing while my kids were up to throw them off their game, but hey, a win's a win, man.

I officially suck at bowling. I know this because when I first moved to the Twin Cities I was convinced to join a bowling league. I really needed friends and here were some video production groovies who didn't seem to care that I sucked. Our team was called "The Faerie Queens." We were the worst in the league. We got beat by a group that was officially visually impaired and played with some kind of beeping ball. We had a gal on our team who had a gigantic "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" kind of thumb and she would periodically get the ball stuck on her hand. When the league term ended, the woman who handed out awards told us we would've won for "Most Improved" except we never really improved.

Today I took my kids bowling. There was no one there except a group of about dozen guys in their 60s practicing at the other end. We used the bumpers. My son, who had never been bowling before, was so proud when, about 8 minutes after rolling the ball, it finally knocked down a pin. My daughter was a pro, and kept switching between right and left hands. She was also the master of the "Z-shot" hitting both bumpers with some speed.

And I will say that when searching for a photo for this post, I came upon this delight. I am not related to this child in any way. I am sure he is no longer a child, but is currently serving time in Leavenworth, having been driven to a life of crime if only to score some more stylin' threads and get a better agent.

In the spirit of the best bowling movie of all time: Tanqueray and Tab and keep 'em comin'...

No comments: