Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On With The Show, This Is It...


Many moons ago I fancied myself a burgeoning singer. I auditioned a lot and was in a fair number of musicals. A few things I learned along the way:

When someone in front of you auditions with the song, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off” but instead of singing “You like potato, and I like potahto,” etc., sings “You like potato and I like potato, You like tomato and I like tomato, Potato, Potato, Tomato, Tomato Let’s call the whole things off” don’t laugh. (The casting director will…you don’t need to add insult to injury. I never saw a director laugh that hard. He asked, “What is it you think the song is about?”)

If you’re asked to sing a Juice Newton song, don’t do it.

If you do alternating line readings with an actress who happens to also be a best friend, the outcome may not be good.

There are no small parts, just crappy ones.

To quote an odd film, “It’s showtime, folks!” Now get out there and show ‘em what you got…

No comments: