Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm Back


My grandmother's service went well, although seeing the cardboard box her cremated remains were in placed in the ground by my uncle was really difficult. She is finally next to her beloved husband though, and that is gratifying. After the burial, we had a memorial service on the porch of her lake home, sitting and facing the view that she so adored for all those years. My grandparents built a home in the Adirondacks in the 50s and this is where so many of my childhood summers were spent. Being out on the porch with about 50 friends and family, telling stories was just the way she would've wanted to be remembered. She was a kind and gracious woman, always looking out for the least among us. She was generous and funny, quick witted and loving.

I didn't end up speaking during the memorial service, but stayed and shared stories at the luncheon that followed.

My relative who is in the hospital is steadily improving, although he may have some lasting brain damage. Like so many things in life, it's a "wait and see" kinda thing.

I have tons of work to do and get my kids back in half an hour. I can't wait...I have missed them so much. Tonight we'll make a yummy dinner (after four days of traveling and airport food, I am craving healthy stuff) and maybe rent a movie and snuggle on the couch. I am so grateful that are healthy happy children.

Thanks for all the love and support, Lone Reader. This has been a hard summer for me and you've been a source of strength for me. Peace out...

No comments: