Sunday, July 6, 2008

Oh no!

Yes, Lone Reader, it is after midnight. And, after wrestling with the castle Bundt cake pan for 10 minutes, my kids' birthday cake finally came out of the pan. In pieces. And this was not just any ol' cake mix cake, no sir. It was a pound of butter and 8 eggs. It necessitated buying cake flour, zesting lemons to get 1/4 cup of zest, three giant bowls, emulsifying the butter into the eggs in batches in the food processor, sifting and all that jazz. sigh. I've made this cake in this pan before, and never had a problem. Too humid in my kitchen? Bad mojo from my dog? I dunno why it happened.

I can either attempt to bake another cake (in normal pans, believe me!) or just go on an emergency Costco run in the morning. I'll see when the kids get up what they'll tolerate. Somehow, I doubt they'll go for a birthday trifle. Oh well. At least I baked it the night before.

Wish me luck!

No comments: